Sunday, January 29, 2012

Stress on Children's Development

     One stressor that I experienced as a child was childhood diseases.  I recall contracting chickenpox as a young child.  While playing with my cousin over the weekend, he was already a carrier of chickenpox because he broke out in bumps everywhere on that Monday.  By the end of the week, I had broke out as well.  I had never experienced something so bad in my life.  All the bumps with the itching and scratching, taking lots of Benadryl and the misery.  I could not go outside to play with my friends.  That was horrible.  Chickenpox is a contagious disease that I don't wish on anyone.  I'm very glad that I was able to go through it as a child and not as an adult.  My grandmother experienced it as an adult and she had major complications and had a hard time getting over it.
     A part of the region that faces many childhood diseases is Haiti.  The children face diseases such as diarrhea, respiratory infections, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS which are the leading causes of death amongst children.  A lot of these diseases are due to poverty and inadequate access to basic health care.  It is estimated that there are 19,000 children with HIV/AIDS in Haiti.  Other things that are high risk are hepatitis A and E and typhoid fever which are caused by lack of water.  Children are particularly vunerable because they depend on adults to care for them.

          Resource:
Wilkinson, E. (2010, January 15). Haiti Children at Risk of Disease. BBC News. Retrieved from
     http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools 

No comments:

Post a Comment