Sunday, December 18, 2011

Codes of Ethics

               Three ideals contained in the NAEYC and DEC Code of Ethics that are meaningful to me and its significance to my professional life are:
     I-1.11--To provide all children with experiences in a language that they know, as well as support children in maintaining the use of their home language and in learning English.  It's significance to my professional life is that I can foster each child's development by learning key words from the child's home language while supporting the continued development of English, model respect and help children demonstrate appreciation of others and provide books and materials that reflect families' home languages and culture, as well as that of others in the community.
     I-2.3--To welcome all family members and encourage them to participate in the program.  It's significance to my professional life is I can develop positive relationships with families, reach out to all family members and collaborate with local community services that are available to support children and families.
     II.  Professional Development and Preparation (DEC Code of Ethics)
        #4.  We shall support professionals new to the field by mentoring them in the practice of evidence and ethically based services.  It's significance to my professional life is that I can ensure that new staff within my program are able to receive an initial orientation prior to being placed in a classroom.  My Head Start/Early Head Start program provides a New Teacher Support Group to new staff monthly where they pair up with a mentor who guides them through their development.  They can address any issues or concerns that they may have and also offer suggestions to enhance the classroom or the program during their group meeting.  

2 comments:

  1. Tonya,

    I have really enjoyed reading your posts and discussions coming from a Center Supervisor's point of view. As educational leaders it is important that a rapport is established with new staff and maintained with seasoned staff. Tonya, I believe as long as you continue with your work ethic and good heart, you will continue enhance your program with the skills and knowledge acquired through Walden University.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya Hedgspeth- I would like to thank you for oyur support and any feedback that was given during this course. I want to wish you well on your journey in the master's program and a Happy Hoilday season!

    ReplyDelete